Satpura National Park
Welcome to another National park in Madhya Pradesh, Satpura National Park.!
The park covers are an area of 2200 sq. kms all together & drives its name from famous hill ranges called Satpura. The terrain of the park is really tough with peaks of sandstones, gorges, ravines & very thick forest. The altitude ranges from 300 to 1300 metres height approximately. This part has great biodervsity & has 1300 different kinds of plants!
Satpura National park has 46+ tigers, 100+ leopards,80+ sloth bears (52 species of mammals) 31 species of reptiles & 300 species of birds. In this stock, 14 species are endangered.
Arboreal mammals like Flying Squirrels, Indian Giant Squirrel & Leaf nosed bats are also found here. Eurasian otters & Smooth coated otters are also seen.
Satpura National Park is located in Hosangabad district of Madhya Pradesh. The Nearest Rail ways stations are Itarsi & Piparia (55 kms). The main MADAI gate of the park is 140 kms (03 hrs) from Bhopal, 300 kms (05 hrs) from Nagpur & 300 kms (04 hrs) from Jabalpur.
Safari Zones & Gates in Satpura.
From tourism point of view, the park is divided into 04 zones. Out of them Madai &, Pannarpani (Pachachi) are core area & Jamani Dev & Parsapani are buffer area.
Madai gate/Zone has four internal roads which are different in length. Hence rates of safaris are different in this zone according to road/ area you select for safari. Four roads/ areas are as below.
A. Lagda road B. Jhinjini mahal road C. Chutki Dev D. Churna road.
Interesting Activities other than Safaris are offered here are:
- Beside jeep safari one can enjoy nature walk in core area of the park.
- Cycling & night Safari is allowed in Buffer areas.
- Canoeing & boat safaris are also done in this park.
Night Stay facility inside Satpura.
Satpura doesnot have facility to stay in core area. Few small guest houses for staying are located at the entrance gate itself. They can be booked by department office.
Private hotels: Many Private hotels are there on both gates i.e. Madai & Pannarpani gate.
Opening & closing date of Satpura & weekly off.
Satpura opens from 01”st October to 30”th June every year. This park does not open in monsoon season i.e. July, August & September.
Satpura does not offer safari in afternoon shift on every Wednesday. Besides this the park remains close completely on festival of Holi in the month of March every year.
Types of safaris in Satpura.
Broadly safari can be classified into 03 types Satpura.
- Normal Safari :Mostly safaris are done by jeep (06-seater) in Satpura. There are 02 shifts i.e. morning & afternoon. Morning shifts are longer here (till 11:00 am). Afternoon safaris are shorter here & a smaller number of jeeps are allowed.
Note: In Satpura, mostly jeeps are booked on exclusive basis. However, there are few jeeps which can be booked in single seat basis also. These jeeps do not go to hotel to pick up guests. One has to go to gate for safaris. If number of single passengers/ tourists are less than 06 then remaining cost is divided among present tourists to make payment complete. Single seat option is clearly seen on site at the time of booking.
- These safaris are done by jeeps mainly in premium zones of the park. There are no fix numbers of jeep in this category. Only those jeep appear in this quota which are previously booked but are cancelled due to some reason. This quota opens at 05:00 pm for next day morning & afternoon. The costing is slightly higher than normal/advance quota jeeps.
- Only Full day safaris are allowed in Satpura. There is no concept like Half day safaris as in Ranthambhore. These safaris are zone free safaris. You can see all zones in one single day.
Note : Here as Full day safari consist of Madai & Churna zone so they are not expensive. Slightly higher than 02 normal safaris. In this full day safari, you have to spent 03 hours of afternoon in Churna Guest house as per rules. Highly recommended from leopard sightings.
These Full day safaris are allotted by special permission of Field Director.
Safari Booking Process, Quota & requirement.
All safaris except Full day safaris, can be booked by official site www.mponline.gov.in . One has to register on this site & after going to wild life section you need to fill details like name, age, gender, nationality, photo id proof numbers. For Indian nationals Aadhar card, passport, driving license, voter id etc are valid. For Non-Indians passport details & country is mandatory. By booking safari you only secure your seat for safaris. Rest formalities are done on the safari day itself.
In Satpura only Entrance fee & vehicle entry fee is charged in tickets/ permit.
Guide fee & vehicle fare are to be paid on the safari day.
You can select zones while you are making online booking. The zones once selected cannot be changed. You have to rebook the permit if you want to change the zone. Your previous amount will go waist.
All types of safaris are booked through this site only.
After booking safaris, one has to get boarding pass on the safari day. For getting boarding pass you have report to Central Booking office of the park 01:00 hrs before safari. You have to show original copy of safari voucher & Id proofs to get boarding pass. Boarding pass give you vehicle number & guide name allotted for your safari. After this you are ready for the safari. Boarding pass is must for every safari.
Same Id proof is mandatory (given at the time of booking) to carry during safaris as some times they check at the entry gate.
For every safari booked, the department allots guides & vehicles by roaster system. Professional guides & drivers can be hired by paying extra fee to the department as per rules.
Entrance Fees :
The Entrance fees are same for Indians & Non-Indians in Satpura. The fee structure remains same throughout the season. Weekends hike in fee is not seen in Satpura.
There are 03 quotas for safari bookings.
- Advance Quota: In Satpura, the safari booking opens 120 days prior to visit. Almost 90 % of tickets / permits are made available in this quota.
- When in any zone all jeeps are full on website, then you are allowed to book few more tickets like in train.The system indicates the status of the tickets after payment is made.
The wait- listed tickets are likely get confirmed against other cancelled tickets. This is done 05 days prior to the visit. You will get sms from the department regarding confirmation. If your tickets are not confirmed then your amount comes back in your account.
- As 90% tickets/ permits are made available in advance quota through website only 10% tickets are left for current quota. This quota opens 01:00 hrs prior to each safari shift at the department’s booking centre. Guests has to stand in ques to get tickets.
Number of Jeeps/ canters for safaris in Ranthambhore.
Satpura has below distribution of jeeps for direct tourists.
Madai: Morning shift 13 & afternoon 13
Pannarpani: Morning shift 07 & afternoon 07
We provide all services from booking safaris to get with boarding pass & jeeps, guides to your hotel as per department’s rules and assistance during your stay in Satpura. We help you to select good zones from sighting point of view. Good guides & professional drivers can be hired by paying extra fee as per department rules. Transport is also provided from Jabalpur, Nagpur, Bhopal & other places as per your itinerary.
Request A Quote Now
Plan your holidays in India.
Discover the best holiday packages in India classified according to your interest, theme and destination with Cultural Safari Tours. Make your holiday memorable, book now!Book Your Trip!